Well, I just happened to have 2 sewing projects going on at once. The curtains I mentioned in my last post was a detour from a new Copycat Fashion I was in the middle of doing and now I’m free to share with everyone.
This Copycat Fashion project is different from what I’m used to doing. Instead of using one of my tried & true commercial patterns to make something I’ve seen, I decided to copy a pattern from an existing garment and try to recreate it for myself. With fast fashion getting cheaper and smaller in size, I’ve been curious to see if I could take a cheaply made & bought piece and extract its pattern pieces while learning how to construct it. This project I didn’t pull apart my original piece because I already like it and it fits, so this was about me learning how to make it for more copies I’ll enjoy later.
I got this simple short sleeve bodysuit in the Macy’s clearance section for 5 bucks (that spot is a treasure chest of good deals if you have time for the hunt). I love bodysuits in general and the square neckline looked really flattering on me. I’ve struggled lately with necklines so this was a welcome surprise. I like it so much I want to recreate this bodysuit in multiple colors and sleeve lengths. Maybe I’ll even try making a tank top & t-shirt with this neckline, I like how good it looks on me. This is one of the benefits of learning to sew I enjoy.
So here comes the fun part; which one of these bodysuits is the original and which one is the copycat?
Take a guess before joining me on the next page, lol.
The summer season has sparked many warm weather-based clothes ideas to keep my sewing machine busy, but instead I began my latest crafting adventure with a surprise home décor project.
My church was in dire need of some new curtains after theirs gave them 20 years of dependable service and since I’m a well know sewing hobbyist they recruited me to make them. I was eager to take on the challenge since I’ve yet to sew anything for interior decorating, especially from scratch. However, curtains are nothing more than large hemmed rectangles with stitched channels for the bar to slip through so designing & constructing them aren’t complicated.
The only thing for a sewer to worry about when it comes to a simple project is all the measurements needing to be accurate and being able to replicate that 3 more times and THAT can get complicated.
Come join me as I regale my adventure in curtain sewing, lol!
I’m finally trying out one of my many accessory commercial patterns and it couldn’t have come at a better time.
Supermarkets everywhere are steadily phasing out their plastic bags, meaning the Universe is telling me to put my sewing skills to better use then fashion (HA! Never!)and make some reusable grocery bags instead
At the same time I came into a giant roll of awesome utility-like fabric and spools of webbing thanks to a generous donor, so the Universe was making itself clear to me that grocery bags should be my next project.
It’s time to blog about Wedding Guest dress Number 2.
Since I went out of my comfort zone making the dressy jumpsuit previously, I made up my mind and chose a fancy dress to sew for the second wedding. Interestingly enough, I found the fabric first and used that to pick the pattern instead; a lovely charmeuse in a purple poppy watercolor print with blush pink accents. Perfect material for this project.
After looking through my dress pattern collection, I landed on this Vogue option as the One. I particularly liked the halter neckline style and wanted to learn how to sew it for a possible future Copycat Fashion idea.
The fabric is bought, the pattern is chosen, and now the sewing begins.
I experienced a phenomenon I haven’t had in a while: being a Plus One for 2 weddings in the same month. 🙂
From my many hours of reading fashion magazines & web sites, shopping for a wedding guest outfit can be a daunting & frustrating life moment, especially when you don’t have a high-end budget for high-end designer looks.
Fortunately for me, I am a home sewing enthusiast with a large pattern collection to work with.
Like I mentioned in the previous post I have accumulated 4 sewing projects in the last few months and am ready to post all of them.
This project is actually the second time using the McCall’s M7058 princess seam outerwear packet. First time around I used it for an Easter art piece, ‘High Expectations Meet Unexpected Realities’ and you should check it out if you’re curious.
That project was a clever attempt to practice with this particular pattern because I have plans to make multiple garments from it. Here is the first garment I made from this, a collarless blazer using vintage pieces of fabric gifted to me a while ago.
It’s been a long and great summer for yours truly and now I finally have a few sewing projects to share with all of you.
This is my first Copycat Fashion project in a while and it’s my first swimwear project EVER. Sewing enthusiasts know swimwear is very challenging to make and I just HAD to use a pattern made for woven fabrics to realize this project for extra difficulty, lol.